1. The realization that you are one with all phenomena - separation is an illusion.
2. The gradual quieting of the thinking mind.
3. The awakening of the heart (and other) chakra centres. In the heart's case, a new found compassion and love for all forms of life.
4. The collapse of the ego - the end of identification with thought as self. (Often a sudden, dramatic, ego devastating event.)
5. The gradual process of un-grasping from and dis-identifying with all manifest phenomena.
6. The realization that you are both one with, yet free from all manifest phenomena.
7. The slow and gradual process of (re)-integrating all that was formerly dis-identified with, into a free flowing expression of Self.
And no doubt there are many more ways of understanding and interpreting awakening. I think we tend to forget this when speaking about awakening - we forget that we may in fact be speaking of rather different things. Just something to keep in mind when discussing the topic of enlightenment in our ongoing attempt to share, understand and effectively communicate with each other.